Teeny Tiny Truman

This page is all about Truman, born Aug. 8, 2006 to Kara and Ben.

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Pedi Appointment

CHRONOLOGICAL AGE: 15.75 MONTHS
ADJUSTED AGE: 11.75 MONTHS
WEIGHT: 15 LBS, 12 OUNCES
LENGTH: 26.75 INCHES

Finally, good news on weight! Truman picked up the pace this time to reach a respectable 12 grams a day in weight gain. Still by no means a bruiser, but he gained the same amount in the last four weeks that he gained in the six weeks before that, so a very nice improvement. He also grew half an inch in the last four weeks. And, drumroll please ... Truman's head is officially on the charts for his adjusted age. I can't say the same for length and weight, but he continues on his curve, and we'll take the growth victories where we can get them.

Interestly, Dr. Suterwala noticed that Truman's temples are puffy, which he said are fat deposits from the high-fat diet he's on. So, I guess the fat is doing something -- not quite where you want to see weight gain, but notable nonetheless. We were given a pass to January for the next weight check. Yippee!

In less pleasant news, we had noticed over the last few weeks that Truman appeared to be developing a new hernia along the scar line from his bowel re-section surgery. Dr. Suterwala confirmed that it was a hernia and would likely require surgery someday to reinforce the stomach wall. For now, we'll just keep an eye on it and watch for changes, but I can't bear to think he'll have to go back into a hospital and on a ventilator again for any period of time. I'd like to avoid that as long as possible.

Dr. Suterwala is concerned about Truman's developmental progress in the communication area, in particular, so we'll be having a separate OT eval for his purposes -- a formal "Bailey's" exam. He is also concerned about the texture issues with eating, but not as much so. He also really wants to pay attention to Truman's right side (his grade IV brain bleed was on the left) to look out for any weakness and tone issues that we need to address.

In other therapy news, it seems that things are finally sorted out with insurance, and Truman will begin his second weekly session of OT next week and will also have his PT evaluation next week to get the ball rolling on that. The speech therapists are all booked for evaluations until the end of the year.

In news from home, we got Truman a push toy over the weekend, and he seems to be doing pretty well walking along behind it for a few steps until he runs it into something.


--Kara

8 Comments:

Blogger 23wktwinsmommy said...

I just found you through a fellow preemie friend's blog roll. I have 23.5 week b/g twin born 9/29/06. I've added you to my blog roll if that's ok with you. Happy Turkey Day!

9:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been following your blog since Truman left the NICU. I am so glad to see that he has done so well. Happy Thanksgiving and I'll keep you in my thoughts for his hernia issue to resolve. Becky/RT @ Baylor breatheasy145@yahoo.com

9:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay for Truman's head! So exciting that he is on the charts! So funny about the bathroon adventures - we have lots of those at our house too - we've actually had to close off the bathroom altogether since that is where the kitty boxes are! I'd love to stay on the list and keep in touch with you guys and Truman. My e-mail is lubbockian@aol.com

The Ezermans

5:49 PM  
Blogger The Schutte Family said...

As one of your anonymous followers, I am sad to see you put your blog private, but completely understand and respect your reasoning. I would, however, like to suggest an annual Truman update on the public blog, perhaps on his birthday. Truman's story is so special and is one that we will not quickly forget. I would love to be able to see that he is four and singing nursery rhymes, or seven and learning mathematics, or whatever it may be. Just a suggestion that I hope you consider.

The best of luck to you and your family. You have a very wonderful son!

2:49 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Kara and Ben,

I would love to be added to you new blog, you don't know me, I have a Truman, too. I have been following you all since right after he was born. I understand if you say no, though.

2:05 PM  
Blogger Levi and Peter's Mommy said...

I have been following Truman's story ever since I found it when my precious Peter was born 12 weeks early last October. It brings a smile to my face every time I read his story and see his pictures. Truman and Peter seem so much alike (and even look alike.) We have been very blessed to have a baby who has bucked all the odds. I will continue to pray for all of you that Truman gets past these obstacles and grows to be a big strong boy.

1:27 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Happy Homecoming Day! I've been following your story from the beginning (from Babycenter) and it's been an amazing one. Every post I read leaves me amazed at how well your little Truman is doing.

Didn't the post originally say something about you going private blogging after today? If so, I will genuinely miss your Truman updates and wish all of you long, healthy lives. (well... unless you would care to include me. krsepar04 @ aol. com)

6:26 AM  
Blogger TEKMO said...

Today is Dec 5th... Happy one year home Truman. I have been following Truman since he was born (I heard about it b/c I was part of the Jan 07 ivillage EC). I will miss seeing updates on him and wish all three of you the best of luck as you grow together. Erin

9:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home