Teeny Tiny Truman

This page is all about Truman, born Aug. 8, 2006 to Kara and Ben.

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Early April Update

CURRENT WEIGHT: 9 LBS, 11.5 OUNCES (Last measured 2 weeks ago)
ADJUSTED AGE: 4 MONTHS
CHRONOLOGICAL AGE: 8 MONTHS


Truman smiling for his Mama




Practicing his baby stare

A little bit of tummy time


An afternoon at the arboretum - Truman's first ever outing


Observing the flowers with Granpa



As of this afternoon, Truman has spent more time at home than he did at the hospital. He spent 17 weeks to the day in NICU and has been for 17 weeks today.

Truman had another great pediatrician appointment last month. His most recent growth rate was 19 grams (2/3 of an ounce) a day. Since he's doing so well developmentally, is finished with RSV shots for the season, and is otherwise healthy, the doctor said he doesn't have to come back for a month. So, Truman's next medical appointment is with his occupational therapist on April 20. That means he'll have gone a full month without a medical appointment. He'll have a pediatrician appointment the week after that, and hopefully we will get the OK to come out of isolation. We have now officially retired all of the preemie clothes and (although they are a bit bulky on him) have moved to 0 to 3 month clothes.

He had his first non-medical outing about three weeks ago. We took him to the Dallas Arboretum while his Lubbock grandparents were visiting. Although it is a public place, it is completely outdoors, so we felt OK about the exposure. He lasted four hours before he decided it was time to go home. You can see a couple of shots from that above.

Developmentally, his latest trick is that rolls up onto his side a lot during play and while sleeping and rolled all the way onto his tummy while sleeping one night. He is also tolerating more tummy time and will now occasionally coo and reach and grab toys while on his tummy and is doing a better job of holding his head all the way up while on his tummy, as you can see above. He still is not a big fan of the exercise, but he is getting stronger and often now just rolls over when he gets tired of his tummy rather than crying about it and waiting for us to help him roll. We also think the tummy time is also strengthening his stomach muscles and helping to lessen his umbilical hernia. We've been told by his pediatrician that the hernia will simply heal itself over time as he develops muscle tone. His OT is also happy with his increased strength and better toleration of tummy time.

Truman is also cooing a lot more and and in a lot more situations and has learned to make some coo-like sounds other than crying to indicate displeasure as well as happiness. We have been practicing sitting up, and he is getting stronger every day. He has sort of a chuckle sound as well that we hope develops into a full-blown laugh soon. He loves to hold to a set of plastic links we have and puts them in his mouth, changes hand with them, and generally likes to play with them. He has also taken to holding onto burp cloths and fabric "lovey" toys and pulling them over his face and chewing on them.

Truman continues to have colic just about every night for an hour or two, and while we had hoped that the nightly screaming had peaked a couple of weeks ago (we even had to resort to driving him around in his car seat to get him to sleep at one point - as nothing else would calm him down), unfortunately it now seems that it plans to stick around for a while yet. Yet as hard as the screaming is on us, our hearts just ache for Truman because it's bound be be even harder for him.

I want to send a personal thank you to all of you who have donated at Truman's March of Dimes Walk America page. We are going to be walking on a team with his nurses and some other NICU families.

--Kara

33 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great pictures! He's coming along so well. My husband and I love to check in on Truman and watch his progress through life. It's amazing how it seems like the whole world is watching in, caring about your family. Thank you for sharing your story with us. Our son was due close to the time Truman was, so your story hits us close to home even though our son was not preemie - he was born Nov. 13th, only 1 week early.

I wasn't sure if you'd be interested or not, but here is a link to another family with micro-preemies (twins) who were born in July of 2004. Their site also has links to a bunch of other families who also have little ones.

http://micropreemietwins.blogspot.com/2004_08_01_archive.html

Kathy
Salt Lake City, UT

6:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He is getting so big! And he is so handsome- I love that smile, my husband and I were just thinking that he reminds me of the little munchkin that I used to take care- he will be 12 this year, he is a former 23-24 weeker. Thanks for continuing to share the little man with us! Take Care!

7:46 PM  
Blogger eLizDH said...

Wow, he's beautiful! I'm so glad you put some more pictures - it's been a while. It's so great to see how well he's doing. I've been following your story since Truman was a week or two old and it's definetly touched my heart. I will never forget this special little guy. Best of luck to all of you!! And keep us all updated!

The Schutte Family
Den Haag, The Netherlands

5:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH my I got tears in my eyes when I seen how big he is getting he is so cute!!!
I can't wait for an update on Truman.
I have been following your story since you had Truman I was due just 3 weeks after you.

7:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, truman! what a big boy you are becoming! it is obvious that you are such a joy to your parents and grandparents. my god continue to bless you and help you grow big and strong!

heather dec 06 EC

7:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

he is soooooo adorable. he has a beautiful smile

5:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are really blessed with such a beautiful baby boy. I am so glad that his complications are going away - that must be the greatest gift!

8:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Truman is adorable!! I've been following y'alls story since the start, hearing about you on iv. Best of luck, and thanks for keeping us all informed.

11:13 AM  
Blogger Shawnee said...

Truman is so adorable and I am so happy he is doing so well!! I don't know you personally, but as a fellow baby center member, I have been following your little man's story from the beginning (I had our second baby boy on Jan 20), it is truly amazing, and what an amazing miricle this little boy is. I love seeing all the pictures and reading the updates. Thanks for keeping us all up to date on this little cutie!

Shawnee

1:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Easter Truman. You're looking great.

1:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on your first outing, what a big step! I have been following Truman since I learned of his birth on iVillage, but I've only posted a couple of times. Now that my daughter Ramona (11.26.06) has been diagnosed with a serious heart defect we've started a similar blog to keep folks up to date on her progress. Now I know how meaning ful comments can be :)

Just know that even though we've never met, I've had Truman's blog bookmarked since he was just a few days old.

Can't wait to see what he's gonna do next...

Jane, Ramona's mom
www.RamonaMae.com

2:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yea!!!! Go Truman Go! What a handsome fellow you are! I love reading your updates and see all of the new pictures! I'm so happy that everything is going so well for you all! Please keep updating us!

10:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad that this story has a happy ending!! I have been checking in with this blog, since early September, when I learned about Truman on the Babycenter message boards. May he continue to thrive, and bring you many more milestones to update us about!!

Mindy
December 06 mom from babycenter.com

12:55 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

WoW! Truman is doing so great :) I started reading when he was born, as I was just as far along in my pregnancy and have been praying and rooting for Truman. I'm so glad he's growing so well.

1:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been following your family's situation pretty much from day one, thanks to BBC, and I just want to say I am so incredibly ecstatic to see how healthy Truman is! To look at the pictures, you don't even realize he was born so dangerously early!

He is gorgeous, adorable, cute and beautiful, all wrapped in one. I am so happy for you folks that you are able to finally be a family and that Truman's health keeps getting better day by day.

4:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been reading your story since I went on bedrest in August 2006 due to preterm labor at 28 weeks. I had some light brown spotting for 3 days and on the morning of the forth day I went to the doctor and found out I was contracting every 3 minutes, was thinned and dialated. I went to the hospital and they stopped the contractions. Your story really hit close to home, even though I was further along than you were when you had Truman.
Anyway, I check in on Truman every few days and I feel so proud of him when i see all of the great things he is doing. Thanks for sharing.

Nicole
A Truman fan in san diego

10:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for giving a Truman update. He is so adorable!

Congratulations on such a wonderful young man. I'm glad you're doing so well as a family.

Sincerely,
Jaymie
Lawrenceville, GA

9:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh wow I'm so HAPPY for you and your family. Truman looks AWESOME!!! he's so big. Congratulations on all accomplishments!!!

2:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw, had to stop by and tell you what a cutie pie he is...

Kathryn

Seattle, WA

3:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been "reading" and "watching" Truman grow -- and it is utterly amazing. I am walking here for the March of Dimes and will honor Truman. He is absolutely gorgeous!

9:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just found out about your story from a friend of mine that had the same due time as yours. Your beautiful baby boy is a miracle. I had two high risk pregnancies which had good outcomes but there is no way to describe the fear and helplessness that you experience with your children. One day he will realize what a miracle he is and how many people care for him.

Alisha

Kingston,TN

9:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Truman family. I've keeped up w/your story and have posted a few comments in the past. My son was born 12-12-06, near when Truman was suppose to be due. Something that we have found to sometimes help the colic spells is to go into the bathroom and run the tub. I sit on the toliet seat holding him till he calms down, and then introducing the bottle. I hum "Silent Night" and he normally ends up falling asleep. Just a thought of something to try.

By the way, I'm so glad to hear the great progress Truman has made. My son can't stand tummy time, or any floor time for that matter. How is it going w/you working. I know it still not that easy for me. I still feel like I'm missing so much and don't have near enough time with my son.

Best regards,
Salina
Killeen, TX

8:18 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Truman is gorgeous, he looks so happy. You all have been through so much together, it is wonderful to hear that life is progressing and can get more fun and less scary moving forward.

Good work, many blessings to your family.

Go Truman, Go Truman, Go Truman!!!!

Dec06ECmomma (April & Hastings)

9:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a cutie.....you are doing great, love it when they beat the odds.....
Pat
Angel Kate's Grammy
www.caringbridge.org/visit/katehrischuk

10:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you are enjoying the warmer weather we are finally getting.
Have a great week and week-end.
Pat
Angel Kate's Grammy
www.caringbridge'org/visit/katehrischuk

10:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wanted to wish you a very VERY Happy Mother's Day! Hope you are doing well- Take Care!

4:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stopping by to say "hi".
Hope yesterday was a fun day...

Pat
Angel Kate's Grammy
www.caringbridge.org/visit/katehrischuk

2:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hug your family, have a safe holiday week-end!!

Pat

Angel Kate's Grammy

www.caringbridge.org/visit/katehrischuk

10:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stopping by to say "hi"....always in our thoughts.

Pat

Angel Kate's Grammy

www.caringbridge.org/visit/katehrischuk

7:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stopping by to say "hi", glad things are going well...enjoy the summer.

Pat

Angel Kate's Grammy

www.caringbridge.org/visit/katehrischuk

12:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Truman is just adoreable..he has changed so much, really growing up.
Keep up the good work big man...
Pat
Angel Kate's Grammy
www.caringbridge.org/visit/katehrischuk

2:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stopping by....keeping your family in our thoughts.

Many prayers,

Pat

Angel Kate's Grammy

4:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are in our thoughts and prayers this family holiday.

Keep strong.

Pat

Angel Kate's Grammy

www.caringbridge.org/visit/katehrischuk

12:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home