Teeny Tiny Truman

This page is all about Truman, born Aug. 8, 2006 to Kara and Ben.

Friday, January 12, 2007

Getting longer!

CURRENT WEIGHT: 6LBS, 9.6 OUNCES
CURRENT LENTH: 19.25 INCHES
ADJUSTED AGE: 5.5 WEEKS

Truman had another good doctor visit on Wednesday. They did a full check-up with more assessments than usual. His pediatrician was happy with his muscle tone and overall physical health. He's still very small, but growing at an average of 2/3 of an ounce a day. He is really starting to look bigger and is outgrowing his clothes. He is still in preemie clothes, but he's wearing the larger brands now. His ECI case worker came to visit last week, and I think we are really going to like her. His developmental assessment with the occupational therapist will be next week.

His nasty diaper rash is almost completely gone. I think the greatest factor has been a maturing GI tract. Instead of having small stools 20-30 times per day, he is now having about two large ones each day instead.

Truman is getting better about sleeping at night -- at least the first part of the night. He still wakes every two to three hours to eat, but will go back down after eating, that is until about 4:30 or 5 a.m. He is currently shaping up to be a super early riser! For any of you who know his dad, yikes! The only thing that will get him back to sleep after that is cuddling with Mom.

He appears to have made it through his first minor illness at home with flying colors. Yesterday, he was acting lethargic and clearly having more gas pain than usual, as it was causing him to squeal in pain. He also had a little diarrhea and was spitting up what little he was eating. A phone call to the nurse practitioner diagnosed it most likely as a GI bug of some kind. We pumped him full of Pedialyte and he was fine by this morning. We are still holding off on the fortified milk for another day or so and giving him straight breast milk, which he is handling just fine today.

We are still doing okay with the isolation. Truman has had a couple of healthy visitors and we get out about once a week for a doctor's appointment of some kind. We also try to go out in the stroller or into the yard some on nice days. And, I try to run errands on the weekends to get out some when Ben is home. The hardest part has been the logistics of it all. For example, there are no drive-through pharmacies in Dallas that will compound the liquid Prilosec that Truman needs, so I had to find the one in town that compounds and is open after hours so that one of us can go and stand in line while the other parent can be home with Truman. And, even the weekend errands have to be well-coordinated to make sure they all get done because making it out on a weeknight is virtually impossible by the time Ben gets home from work and we've had dinner and such. Also, errands have to fit in around pumping. And pumping while caring for a very demanding baby (he doesn't like to ever be put down) is a whole other story for its own day. Even with the hard work and early mornings, we wouldn't trade him for a million other babies.

--Kara

13 Comments:

Blogger Susannah's Mom said...

Do you have a wrap-style baby carrier? There is a website called www.wrapyourbaby.com and they have instructions for a Tibetan style carry - the baby is high up on your back with his head resting against the back of your neck. The wrap supports the baby's entire body and can even be used with a newborn. That would definitely free up your hands for pumping, if you could figure it out.

7:37 PM  
Blogger jaymieg said...

Kara,

As one who has followed Truman from his "early" days...I'm glad to hear he's behaving so normally (not wanting to be put down!).

Just want you to know that I'm still checking in on y'all. Truman will always hold a very special place in my family's heat. The children and I checked on him almost daily until he came home.

Prayers and hope to you!

Jaymie (mom to a passle of preemies - Zach, Lana and Emi)

10:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hy Kara, my name is Ana, i'm from Portugal and my baby boy was a 32 weeker, borned with 1 kg. Nowadays everything is fine with him. Your baby is a figther, a brave warrior, my prayers are with all of you!
I also have a webpage about prematures (www.nascerprematuro.org), but it is in portuguese.
I loved to read your blog and i wish the best for Truman,
Ana

6:11 AM  
Blogger NĂ­dia said...

HI,
Congratulations on your effort... I'm from Portugal and I loved seeing the evolution of your baby. I'm touched.
Lots of Love,

2:36 PM  
Blogger Susana Happy Days said...

Hy Kara, my name is Susana and I'm from Portugal. I heard about your story and so, visited your blog.

Your baby is a hero, and so are you for being there for him!!!

I wish you all the best!!!

3:51 AM  
Blogger PattyW said...

OK, I have to be honest. I think if you traded Truman for a million other babies it would end up being even more trouble. :) What a blessing to finally be able to worry about all the routine, mundane things that all new parents worry about and not the really scary things that you and Truman went through. Congratulations and hang in there, there will be lots more aggravations, challenges, fun and excitement--just as with any new baby. I am Cindy O's sister so I have heard updates periodically but have also enjoyed the blog and have sent many prayers to all of you all along the way. I have twins who were 6 weeks early but thankfully much more dull than Truman. Take care!

8:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad to hear things are going pretty well! I love hearing about Truman's growth! I'm glad, Kara, that you can get out of the house once in a while - it is so hard to be so isolated. And all that pumping can't help! Boy, I don't miss that machine (although I still use it once in a while to mix with Alena's solid foods)

Don't worry, the nighttimes will get better! Although with ours, she slept about 10 1/2 hours straight at 2 months, and now gets up after 6 hours, and then every two after that....

You are amazing parents! Truman is so lucky to have you both! Thanks again for the updates!

Steph Ez

11:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you tried Abrams Royal Pharmacy? They compound meds for our baby and we pick up at the drive thru.

12:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad to hear that everything is going so well! Truman is getting bigger! I have been following his story from the beginning and enjoy the updates- I am so glad that every thing is falling into place and becoming routine. You are such an amazing family- take care- I will continue to keep you all in my thoughts.

9:29 AM  
Blogger abby said...

Hi Truman! Our little girl, Hallie, is also a 23 weeker, born about two months before you, and doing nicely too. Welcome to the world and we're glad we found your story!

11:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there!

I am so happy to read about all of Truman's progress! I can't wait to meet him. Unfortunatly I think it will be mid-summer before I am germ free (the germs from my sweet students should be gone by then).

Thank goodness you and your doctors finally figured out that awful diaper rash. That sounded horrible! Mom often kept a blow dryer next to the changing table for all of our foster babies. They loved the warm air on their tushies!!

It is so much fun to hear about and see pictures of Truman. I am so happy for you all!

Love,
Casey

12:02 AM  
Blogger K said...

I'm so happy to read about all of Truman's progresses!!! I haven't been here since my baby boy was born (he was due when Truman was, Dec 6), last November 24th, so finally today I got the time to find out what was going on with your little champion! Congratulations on all the success and I truly hope life will go smoother for you all from now on :)

6:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww so glad he is doing well! Hope the diaper rash and GI bug go away soon! GOod Luck! :)

11:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home