Teeny Tiny Truman

This page is all about Truman, born Aug. 8, 2006 to Kara and Ben.

Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Christmas at Home!

CURRENT WEIGHT: 5 LBS, 9.6 OUNCES (LAST CHECKED ON 12-20)
ADJUSTED AGE: 21 DAYS

For a kid who can't play with much yet, Truman was quite the popular gift recipient this Christmas. I guess he was a very good boy this year.

Truman did beautifully with weight gain his second week home -- gaining almost an ounce a day. His pediatrician said just to keep on with what we were doing. We don't know whether it was the Prilosec for reflux or the doctor's advice not to stress over minimum volumes or how many bottles and just to give him what he would take, but something worked.

Truman finally appears to be learning to sleep at night. Some nights are still struggles, and he is sometimes hard to get back down after a feeding, but we are definitely making progress. It looks like the trick may be to keep him up and very entertained during the early evening hours to wear him out for a long night.

He's also advancing developmentally. He has learned to roll over from his tummy to his back and tries to do so almost every time he is placed on his tummy. Sometimes it takes a lot of rocking before he can make it, but with enough effort he can usually make it over. He also is really enjoying looking at things on his play mat and is clearly swiping (and sometimes hitting) the toys dangling above him on the mat. As best we can tell from the baby books, he is on track for his adjusted age. There are a few things he doesn't do that typical newborns would and some things that he can do that typical newborns can't do yet.

Truman gets some supervised tummy time on his play mat for the first time.

Truman meets Flora.

Gramma helps give Truman a bath.

Truman gets a little exercise.

Merry Christmas from Truman to you all!


Merry Christmas Everyone,
--Kara & Ben

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas!
I am so glad that you were all home for Christmas- right where you should be! Sounds like everything is progressing wonderfully. Glad to hear that he trying to figure out the sleep at night thing- as I recall from taking care of my preemie (I was a nanny for a 24wk 11 yr ago) it took him a while to get things straightened out. Enjoy all of the milestones! Take Care! Hugs to you all- Keep up the great work Truman! Happy and Healthy New Year Wishes to You All!

10:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to hear about little Truman. What a blessing to have him home for Christmas. He seems to be progressing well--please keep up the updates as much as you can as I love to hear about his progress.

5:44 PM  
Blogger Tina said...

Merry Christmas!

I am so glad that you found a moment to post on his progress for the rest of the world. I recall when my daughter first came home from the hospital. She had her nights and days mixed up. It seemed like around 2 weeks old she started to straighten herself out and she wasn't a premie so Truman isn't far behind!

Best Wishes!

6:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for updating us on Truman's progress and for posting the wonderful pictures! He is such a little cutie! I have been checking for updates daily, but I know how busy you must be. :)

Happy Holidays!

6:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Absolutely adorable! Love the santa suit! I bet it was a wonderful Christmas with Truman at home. Wishing you all the best in the New Year.

7:59 PM  
Blogger Lynne said...

What a wonderful Christmas this must have been for your family!
I'm so happy to hear that he's doing so well and he is just ADORABLE!

Wishing you all a happy and healthy new year!

9:19 PM  
Blogger Maggie (Sarah's mom) said...

That is the most adorable Santa I've season this year!!! Rolling already! It took a long time after discharge in this house. That is great news. Keep up the great work Truman!

Merry Christmas.

11:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have also been following little Truman's story and I am so happy for you that he is finally home. He truly must be one of God's choicest spirits! I have 2 little ones and I can't imagine how difficult this journey has been for you. I know that you don't know me, but many prayers have gone out in your behalf. Good luck, and thanks for taking the time to update. God bless!

11:49 PM  
Blogger Claire said...

He is adorable, the santa outfit picture is so precious. It is wonderful to hear how well he is doing now.

Merry Christmas and a very happy new year to you all.
Claire - IV Preemies.

8:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!
So wonderful to see you all at home and making wonderful progress!

9:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You don't know me but I follow Truman's story. It warmed my heart to see him home with you for Christmas. Good luck to you all and God Bless!

8:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas and a very happy and VERY HEALTHY New Year!

12:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm beaming from ear to ear right now! I'm just SO happy for you guys. Even though we've never met, I feel as though we've all went through this journey together. To see Truman doing so well, happy and healthy, makes my heart sing. Have a wonderful holiday with sweet little Truman, and please continue to keep us all updated!

4:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home