Teeny Tiny Truman

This page is all about Truman, born Aug. 8, 2006 to Kara and Ben.

Thursday, December 14, 2006

Settling In

CURRENT WEIGHT: 5LBS, 3 OUNCES
CURRENT LENGTH: 18 INCHES
ADJUSTED AGE: 11 DAYS

The three of us are settling in at home and loving it despite the sleep deprivation.

Truman has his days and nights mixed up and doesn't like to sleep at night unless he's being held, so that is proving very draining for us, but we are finally starting to achieve some cradle time at night in the last couple of days. Ben takes the first shift until about 2 or 3 a.m. with Truman and then I take the rest of the night and sleep in 30 minute spurts. It's exhausting!

Feeding Truman is still a struggle. He has not gained as much weight as his pediatrician would like (we are going to a special clinic for low birth weight babies), so we are tinkering with ways to make him grow. The primary issue is that Truman greatly prefers breastfeeding and often screams at or fights the bottle, which means it can take too long to feed him and that (as well as the fighting the bottle) wastes energy. So, the latest solution is that we give him three or four bottles a day of expressed breast milk mixed with Neosure preemie formula to make it higher calorie and give as much as he will take in half an hour without fighting. For all other feedings, I breastfeed hind milk, which means that I have to pump for 5 to 10 minutes before breastfeeding him. In the middle of the night, it is no fun to pump while trying to hold a crying baby at the same time, but you do what you have to do. The pediatrician also prescribed an anti-reflux medication to see if that would help.

He is spending several hours awake each day and having longer periods of alertness. In the last couple of days, he has taken to entertaining himself with his mobile or crib mirror for a while in the late afternoon. He seems to enjoy some time free of blankets and arms to kick and swing his arms about. He is also getting good at lifting his head and turning it and holding his head up for a few seconds on his tummy. He's also starting to sway his arms toward objects, so we think he'll start grabbing things soon. He is also getting good at rolling from his back to his side (usually to escape a diaper change). He loves to be held and talked to for very long periods.

--Kara

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hang in there guys. We know that you are all tired, but it will all get better as time goes on. Wish I had better advice, but endurance is a very valuable trait at this point. We love you and check every day.
Chris and Jeri

4:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It soundds like you have a very strong little man! Hopefully he gains a little faster with the breastmilk and neosure. Keep up whatever you're doing and I wish you guys luck!

-Jessica

4:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so happy for the three of you. It has been a long road home but you are there.

Judith Marie

5:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so thrilled to get an update!!! I hope the ped can get his caloric intake up so he starts gaining a bit quicker!!!

Keep letting us know how you are. The days and nights mixed up is normal. My husband often took the 10pm-2am shift, then I had him when he woke up at 4am onward. It worked out well. Keep up the good work!!

6:12 PM  
Blogger Tina said...

I remember the days of the mixed up nights and days. Everyone told me to sleep when the baby did but I had such a hard time doing that! Anyhow, Kara keep doing what you are doing. You are giving everything you got to ensure that little Truman is getting what he needs. The longer you can BF the better!

I check this site everyday and I am so thrilled to hear that he is doing well and that some of your concerns ring true. My DD BF around the clock for the first few weeks and there was a little weight gain problem in the beginning. A few times she wasn't even on the growth chart and I almost gave up the BF! Over time, she began to pick up weight and we worked past it. I am truly amazed at your determination to ensure that Truman has breast milk. Sorry this post is so long but I think that all of you are so amazing and I ache with joy when I read of the triumphs of Teeny Tiny Marshall.

7:20 PM  
Blogger Tina said...

Oops! I meant to say Teeny Tiny Truman in my post. Marshall is another little boy I have read about. Sorry.

7:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Kara~
I have been following your blog since Truman's birth and I am so happy to hear he is home!

Have you all tried a Supplemental Nursing system (you can google it by typing in SNS)? It is designed to allow the baby to still nurse and get the supplemental preemie formula. Just a thought it having to avoid bottles all together.

Good luck with your little man and enjoy each and every moment. Have a great holiday.
Erin

9:30 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Kara, I have about 15 Neosure coupons for $5 off per can if you'd like them. I couldn't find an email address to email you with this, so come visit Presleigh and my email is listed in a post and drop me a line if you'd like these coupons.

2:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

our daughter was one who needed to be held to sleep, and we were able to get her to sleep better with a tight swaddle and one of those sleep positioners. it just gave her the feeling of being held and let us have a little more sleep.

good luck! i've been following your blog for quite a while, and i love to read the progress Truman is making.

12:02 PM  
Blogger Lynne said...

I am so hear that you are settling in well and that Truman is such a strong boy.

I have been having withdrawl from your blog and was so happy to have an update ;-)

Try a miracle blanket www.miracleblanket.com for Truman to help him sleep better, it worked wonders for my son Ben and I hope the reflux meds work too.

((((Hugs)))

8:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to see that you are all settling in- sleep will come, eventually :) I think he is just happy to be home with you and not have the dings and dongs and pokes and prods of hte NICU- he will get used to the quiet and get his days and nights straightened out. Enjoy him as I know you both are! Take care- enjoy your first christmas next week- will be thinking of you. Hope to see some pics when you get time- know that you are busy and enjoying private family time!

10:21 AM  
Blogger Susannah's Mom said...

I was going to suggest a Supplemental Nursing System but I see someone else has! We used it with my daughter a few times in the beginning (she was a touch early at 36 weeks and had jaundice, so was pretty sleepy) because she didn't have the energy to BF and then take a bottle after. I used expressed breast milk, but of course you can use it with the formula as well.

(I've posted here before under my name, Megan, but started a blog recently myself so I'm logged in.)

2:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being the mom of a 23-weeker, I feel your pain. The hospital, while great for getting him on a regular schedule, messes with him because they do not sleep at night, so why should he!

For the reflux - I have a blanket thing that I got that attaches to the elevated end of the crib and velcros the baby into that position securely so that they are unable to slide down and move around and it really does help with reflux. We found that the reflux got a lot worse once we brought our son home after his due date.
I live in SS and could take it to your mom for you if you would like to have it. My email is lizandscott02@yahoo.com if you want it.
Liz Moss

6:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to read an update. It sounds like he's doing fantastic and acting much like a fullterm baby. My son had his days and nights mixed up for the first few months of his life. I know it's exhausting, but everything gets better and better with time. :) Please keep updating us whenever you're able! Happy holidays to you all.

10:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He will be sleeping thew the night before you know it!I was so happy when I read your coming home post I was praying you would have Truman home for the holidays. Good Luck!
Christy
P.S. You house is amazing btw. The hard wood and stocking hung with a fire .... looks like somthing out of a christmas add! LOL

4:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In order to get extra cals and bf, my NICU suggested we make a paste of powdered formula mixed with breastmilk, then swipe some into the baby's cheek-then nurse. As he fed, the paste slowly dissolved and he got the extra cals.

Good luck-you're doing great!

8:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home