Teeny Tiny Truman

This page is all about Truman, born Aug. 8, 2006 to Kara and Ben.

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Nine Pounds Plus!

ADJUSTED AGE: 3 MONTHS
CURRENT WEIGHT: 9 LBS, 2.2 OUNCES
CURRENT LENGTH: 21.1 INCHES

Truman has learned to grab the objects on his play mat. Here you can see he's got a grip on his favorite object, a blue monkey, and is cooing at it.


Truman has finally discovered that his hands are fun to play with, but he hasn't figured out that they are fun to watch just yet.




Truman has fun with all the silly faces his Grampa made for him on a recent visit. He can't wait until both his Lubbock grandparents come for a longer stay next week.




Truman has learned that he can make the objects on his playmat swing around and that they are quite fun to watch and talk to. He seems to add new noises to his repretoire every day, and his sounds have changed from grunts to vowel sounds.
We haven't heard any squeals or giggles yet, but he definitely wriggles when he gets excited and looks like he's on the verge of laughing.

WELL-BABY CHECK-UP
Truman had his six-month check-up today (even though he's three months adjusted and 7 months chronological age). The well-baby check-ups seem to be scheduled based on getting his shots close to the chronogical age.
DEVELOPMENT:
Dr. Suterwala is quite pleased with Truman developmentally. He even tried to see if Truman is starting to move toward sitting up. Truman did try to reach out and actually lasted a couple of seconds. We were shocked and had never even thought to see if he's getting close.
We had been concerned that Truman doesn't seem to turn to our voices when we talk, but Dr. Suterwala tested him with a bell and he followed the sound every direction, so he passed the test. Also, Truman has yet to make eye contact, but since he tracks objects well and studies our faces when we talk to him, Dr. Suterwala thinks it's just his personality. Truman also did a good job showing off his tummy skills for the pediatrician, including a nice roll over for him. It seems that Truman does best at tummy time for others, so we think maybe we need to get some sort of mat similar to the ones at the therapy clinic or the doctor's office.
GROWTH:
Truman picked back up the pace this week on growth and gained an average of 23 grams a day or about 2/3 of an ounce. It looks like the bump in calories in his bottles is doing the trick. We are very happy about that because Truman has "slept through the night" twice in the past week and has therefore skipped his first middle-of-the-night feeding. One night, he slept for six hours. Last night, although he woke up to play for a while and had trouble going back down, he went seven hours between meals.
Truman is in the 5th percentile in both height and weight on the Very Low Birth Weight Growth chart (for babies born below 3 lbs, 5 ounces). Since we keep away from all other children due to the RSV risk and don't see what other babies look like, we forget that even for a preemie, he is still very small. His head circumference, however, is in the 25% percentile, which is a great sign developmentally. Truman does not measure on the standard growth chart for his adjusted age.





14 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

It is so hard to believe that is the same baby. He is so beautiful!

9:50 AM  
Blogger FFF said...

wow, Kara, those are beatiful pictures of him getting excited! Babies batting things around are too cute!

12:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad to have found this blog after spending the summer at H&L and wondering all this time what became of you and little Truman. He's just beautiful and I'm so happy for you!
Brandie

6:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have followed Truman since the beginning and I can't tell you how happy I am for you that he is doing so well! It's amazing that he has come so far from such an early entrance into the world!

He's beautiful!!

12:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh My goodness I can't believe how much he has changed since you had him. He is so precious! When I saw your updated photos I said to my husband "What a Cutie!" and I have two of my own and they are just little cuties too but couldn't stop gushing over yours as well! I am so happy for you and your family and am so glad that everyone just loves him to pieces! Take Care!!!!

6:52 PM  
Blogger scait said...

He's absolutely massive!!!

Yeh Truman! And what a good boy, sleeping through the night ...

Keep it up and thanks mum and dad for continuing to let everyone see how your awesome little guy is doing.

cait and sev
Alberta, Canada

4:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

he is getting so big. I have been following his progress from the beginning and wow has he changed.He is so cute.

Connie

7:08 PM  
Blogger Fern said...

Oh my goodness he's adorable! He's so tiny, but he still grabs onto things and sits up in his little bath--it's too much! What an absolutely precious little guy you have.

10:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW!!!!!! I hadn't been in to check up on you all for a while and I am amazed! He is getting so big and his smile is breathtaking! It is so wonderful to see how far he has come- the pics are fabulous! Again, thank you so much for continuing to share your precious little one with us all- he makes me smile!

2:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kara, no worries - you're not exactly a large person anyway. Your boy seems to be doing great. His 2nd cousin Tyler is excited to get to play when he's ready. Although be glad, we just suffered through our first round of pink eye. Thank you day care!
Haley

8:58 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

He has gotten so big!

1:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Kara and Ben, I have been following everything ya'll have put up here about Truman I just never had the chance to comment on him....he is so ADORABLE...I am so glad that he is doing fine...he is a lil bit older than my baby she is gonna be 5 months on April 6th. Well Congrats and Hope all is well. Good Luck and I wish ya'll the best. I can't wait to see more pics of Truman! He is too cute. Ya'll made a BEAUTIFUL baby

10:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ben & Kara,
My Husband & I just welcomed our baby boy, Jimi into this world on 3/5/07. Although he was only 7 weeks early & not nearly as early as Truman, we are still finding this whole thing very hard to deal with & wondered if you had any advice.

We both give you guys major props for being so strong. Going back & forth, home to work, work to hospital, hospital to home and doing it all over again the next day! We have been at this for 4 weeks now and we both already feel like just ripping off all the wires and running away with our son! I just don't know where you guys found your strength, you guys did this for 3 times as long as we have! It's driving us nuts!

We know you two are very busy proud parents but if you ever have a few moments to write us & gives us any tips you might have we would greatly appreciate it! By the way, I have been following Truman's progress ever since I first saw the blog's link posted on whattoexpect.com. He is such a handsome little guy! I started crying the day I checked in here and saw Kara, standing by the fireplace with Truman in her arms AT HOME! I am so happy for you guys! God bless!

destanie@qualitydist.net

1:01 PM  
Blogger Nathali said...

Hi Kara,

I just checked out your blog and Truman is absolutely gorgeous!! Such a little miracle!! I had my baby boy Michael 11 weeks ago at 24 weeks gestation (1 pnd, 4 ounces). I know I shouldn't do it, but I compare Michael to other preemie babies. I was going to ask the same question Destinie asked. Please give me some tips, because I am getting NICU-tired after all these weeks!! Michael is still on the respirator and we had hoped he was going to be weaned off this week. But we just found out he has a collapsed lung. It just never seems to end!! I can't wait to take him home, but that also scares me. Please give me any tips, if you can find the time :)

Thanks!

Nathali (nathali.pincus@gmail.com)

10:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home