Teeny Tiny Truman

This page is all about Truman, born Aug. 8, 2006 to Kara and Ben.

Friday, October 13, 2006

He's Wearing Clothes!

CURRENT WEIGHT: 2 LBS, 11.5 OUNCES

TEMPERATURE: Truman has always had a pretty easy time maintaining his body temperature. As of today, he is on air control, which means that the isolette no longer reacts to his body temperature and adjusts the air temperature to suit him. Instead, the air is set at a certain temperature, and he is clothed and swaddled and expected to keep his own temperature in check. He is so cute in his micropreemie (up to 3 lbs) onesie.

RESPIRATION: Truman was weaned to straight C-PAP (no back-up breaths) today and is doing very well. He is still very annoyed by the prongs. He is still on track to move back to canula next week. If he has trouble with straight C-PAP or canula, the plan is to increase his caffeine dosage (which is currently minimal, something like 2 out of a possible 10) before increasing respiration support.

FEEDINGS: Increased to 24 CCs per feed. That's 6 ounces per day. He still tolerates all his feeds quite well and knows his feeding schedule and lets the room know when he is hungry.

NEURAL SCAN: The swelling in the ventricles remained stable and showed no change. The bleed in the basal ganglia area has decreased slightly.

MEDS: Truman is off of the phenobarbitol for his liver because his bilirubin level is quite low. He has been off of thyroid medication for a few days. The orders for morphine and atavain were stopped today, so it's up to Truman to remain calm and collected without any medication support. However, he hasn't been sedated with either one in quite some time because they were both IV only, and the IVs have been out for several days now.

OTHER UPDATES: He has graduated to a bigger baby isolette rather than the giraffe isolette for tiny babies. He had his first tub bath yesterday. He smells a lot better and his hair is lighter now that he's had a good scrub. Tub baths are not normally given to babies on C-PAP. Well, Truman wanted one really bad because yesterday, he had a colossal fit and pulled out his C-PAP prongs, strap, and even the sticky velcro tabs from his face. He also pulled out his feeding tube and managed to get his temperature probe wound around his neck during this fit. So, since he was all free anyway, Nurse Lisa gave him a bath. She said he did very well, was very alert and responsive during the bath, and did well without any respiration support for an hour during the bath.

He had another big fit today, so Lisa got him out and held him and rocked him a bit to soothe him. He really loves being held.

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woo-hoo! Cant wait to see pictures!!!

6:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How wonderful! This is the first time I have posted, but I keep Truman in my thoughts and prayers. I am glad he is doing so well! Keep it up! You all are wonderful parents.

I can't wait to see pictures of him in his clothes!

7:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just wanted to let you know how happy I am that Truman is doing so well. I have never commented before, but I check in everyday to see if there are any updates.

I am amazed at how strong Truman has proven himself to be. I am just approaching 32 weeks pregnant and can not imagine how hard it has been for your family to cope with Truman's early arrival.

You encourage me to be strong and I am continually amazed by the strength and love you are instilling even now in your amazing son.

Good Luck! Keep up the great work Truman!

8:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been following this blog and I am so excited about his recent progress!!!! I too can't wait to see a pic in his new clothes!

8:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember being able to finally bathe my kiddo-they have that NICU smell when they don't get baths. He sounds like he is doing AWESOME! Can't wait for new pics!

9:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have never responded, but I have been reading every day for a long time. It is good to see such progress in this amazing tiny Truman!

Melissa :)

10:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have tears of joy in my eyes for awesome Truman and his progress! His personality is just so hilarious and precious. I hope you guys know what you're in for :)

Continued blessings for his good health!

The December 06 EC ladies

7:27 AM  
Blogger Maria said...

what a wonderful update to read this morning! I can't wait to see pics of Truman in baby clothes.

Always in our prayers,
maria

9:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its so wonderful to read all the great updates about little Truman!! It must be soooo cute to see him in tiny clothes. Please keep updating the pictures, its so exciting to watch him grow and change!!! I am 26 weeks pregnant and can't imagine having had my baby 3 weeks ago, your family has been so blessed to have come so far and for the little trooper to have done so well. I hope he keeps on gaining weight and doing great!!
Shawnee

5:23 PM  
Blogger HHH said...

I am glad he is doing so well. I wanted to share some info that I wish I would have had when my twins were in the NICU. I just got my first issue, and love it. I think it would be helpful to you.. its the Preemie Magazine. I wish I would have know about it.... We will be keeping Tiny Truman in our prayers.
www.preemiemagazine.com

Bobbie
Mother of 25 wk twins (Baylor NICU grads!)

9:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Going off skin control to being dressed and swaddled is a HUGE step for Truman! I think about him often while I am at work in the NICU. Can't wait to see pics of him in his new environment and his fancy duds! Keep up the feistiness little man-keep those nurses on their toes- we really do enjoy it- I promise- we love these little milestones right along with the moms and dads! Keep it up- you guys are doing awesome mom and dad!

11:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been lurking for quite awhile and I have to add my congratulations on such a big milestone. I look forward to seeing pics.

I hope you keep your blog going for a long time. I'm interested in seeing how the little one is doing on his first birthday!

2:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been lurking for quite awhile and I have to add my congratulations on such a big milestone. I look forward to seeing pics.

I hope you keep your blog going for a long time. I'm interested in seeing how the little one is doing on his first birthday!

2:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah Truman!
Keep up the good work! So glad you are as fiesty as you are :). The fiesty ones always do better! I have no idea which parent you inherited that trait from :).
Stay strong and be good to your parents. They've been through a lot :).
We love you!
Kerri and Jason

5:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

truman is doing fantastic! it is so cool to be able to see how he is going!! you go truman!!!!!
kainesmum dec exp

11:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please post pictures!!! Can't wait to see him in his onesie!!!
Keep on growing, Truman!

8:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOOHOO!!!! Go Truman!! He is doing so well. Can't wait to see him in his little onesie!
stacy (s_vickers) IV Dec 06 EC

11:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home