Teeny Tiny Truman

This page is all about Truman, born Aug. 8, 2006 to Kara and Ben.

Thursday, September 28, 2006

Free of the ventilator again!!

CURRENT WEIGHT: 2 LBS, 6.5 OUNCES

Truman is very happily free of the tube down his throat this afternoon. He has returned to C-PAP. Within just a few minutes of the change, he was back down to room air, sneezing about the prongs in his nose, and trying to squeak out some noise. I'm sure within a couple of days, he'll be able to scream as loud as ever when he wants attention (or food). And boy does he start grousing about being hungry when it gets close to meal time.

Speaking of food, Truman is up to 13 CCs (3.25 ounces per day) and is tolerating feeds quite well. Human milk fortifier has been added to give him additional calories.

His arterial line is coming out today. Although it was still in, they allowed us to resume kangaroo care on Tuesday night figuring that if the line came out, it would be a mess, but he'd be fine without it. His IV was removed yesterday. Once the arterial line is out, Truman will be down to one line only. And once he gets up to full feeds and TPN can be stopped, his PLL will be removed and he'll be line free.

We got preliminary results of his Wednesday morning neural scan last night. The swelling in both ventricles has decreased, and the bleed has decreased as well. We don't yet have details as to how much improvement there was, but it was improvement nonetheless!

In fun details, Truman is growing more hair. It's getting thicker and a little darker. It's still very blonde, though. It's also getting long and is growing down onto his neck and over the tops of his ears. I think he'll need a haircut before he comes home.

--Kara

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

what wonderful news! i am so happy about the news of his brain bleed, too. whew. i will keep praying that it will be gone altogether! i am so happy for you guys and can't wait to see some more new truman pics--the gals on the board will be so excited to hear your news :)

heather from dec 06 EC

2:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeahhh Truman! What wonderful news. I have been praying that it would all work out. It seems to be going even faster than I would have expected. What an amazing little guy!

2:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad there has been so much good news concerning little Truman! I am even more happy that you can hold your little boy again. Please take care of yourselves! My prayers and postive thoughts are being sent your way.

Maria from June 06 playgroup/preemie group

3:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was delighted to read about the amazing progress Truman has made.

Thank you for sharing your baby's story with us.

Best wishes!

Kathleen from dec '06 EC

4:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Im here with your reading day by day.My twins were born on 8/25 at exactly 24 weeks. We lost Ace but Isabella is fighting just like lil Truman and going thru the same things.Im so glad to hear the news of his bleed.

~kasey

4:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ben and Kara,

Yeah little Truman! He's not so tiny anymore :). So happy for you all! Our thoughts and prayers always,
Kerri and Jason

5:04 PM  
Blogger Tonya said...

This is WONDERFUL news! I'm so glad to hear that he is doing so much better. I'll continue to pray for Truman and continued health.

7:43 PM  
Blogger HHH said...

CONGRATS! I am so happy you are getting to hold your little man again. What a blessing it is to see them without tape on their face. Only preemie parents know that joy!

10:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Truman,
You keep growing and showing everyone what a determined little fellow you are!!

Sending some love and prayers:)

Dec06ECmomma

10:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So great that Truman is off the vent and back on CPAP. Our Zach arrived two days ago at 27 weeks and has been on CPAP. Truman and Zachary both are in the Giarffe beds. I'm so glad that they let you kangaroo with him -- we haven't gotten there yet so I'm feeling a bit of envy. Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. I'm learning so much from your posts -- you are a great nicu teacher.
Angela dec 06 EC

3:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing your story. I check back every day for good news. Truman's original EDD is only a few days before mine, so your story really hits home.

Keep fighting, Truman!

7:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To all you moms, or those that will be a mom someday...

A baby asked God, "They tell me you are sending me to earth tomorrow, but how am I going to live there being so small and helpless?"

God said, "Your angel will be waiting for you and will take care of you."

The child further inquired, "But tell me, here in heaven I don't have to do anything but sing and smile to be happy."

God said, "Your angel will sing for you and will also smile for you. And you will feel your angel's love and be very happy."

Again the child asked, "And how am I going to be able to understand when people talk to me if I don't know the language?"

God said, "Your angel will tell you the most beautiful and sweet words you will ever hear, and with much patience and care, your angel will teach you how to speak."

"And what am I going to do when I want to talk to you?"

God said, "Your angel will place your hands together and will teach you how to pray."

"Who will protect me?"

God said, "Your angel will defend you even if it means risking its life."

"But I will always be sad because I will not see you anymore."

God said, "Your angel will always talk to you about Me and will teach you the way to come back to Me, even though I will always be next to you."

At that moment there was much peace in Heaven, but voices from Earth could be heard and the child hurriedly asked, "God, if I am to leave now, please tell me my angel's name."

God said, "You will simply call her, "Mom."

You are doing great Truman!

7:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What blessed news!!! Thank you, Lord! Enjoy loving on your sweet boy! Still praying in Palestine!

8:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Job Truman, you are a true fighter! And kudos to mom and dad for hanging in there so well. Keep the pictures coming.:)

11:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home