Teeny Tiny Truman

This page is all about Truman, born Aug. 8, 2006 to Kara and Ben.

Saturday, September 16, 2006

Illness Update: September 16

As of 2 p.m., Truman's blood cultures haven't grown anything yet (after about 17 hours), but they won't declare him negative for infection until 48 hours have passed. He's got a lot of yellow mucus build-up in his nose and throat, so it looks like there probably is an infection or at least he was starting to get one that may have been caught early. His chest x-ray today also shows fluid around his lungs, so they gave him a diruetic to help him urinate off the excess fluid.

He also looks a little pale. He had a big apnea/Brady episode while we were there, but after they suctioned his nose, he did a lot better and pinked up a little more. We're hoping that the 48-hour antibiotic course will be enough of a boost to fight past this infection.

His feeds are still going well. He's up to 10 CCs, which is 2 1/4 ounces a day. He actually lost about 5 grams yesterday, but still comes in at 2 lbs, 1 ounce.

--Kara

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

PP&T's to Truman! Sarah had a similar incident with an infection in her lungs? They started her on a couple types of antibiotics, changed her diuretics (for her lungs) and she got much better. I'm sending Truman the same vibes as Sarah!

Maggie (IV Preemies)

3:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A friend from the Preemie board on Babycenter forwarded me your blog. It sounds like you have a strong little guy! I know how hard the NICU experience is and am sending many positive thoughts your way.

My little guy was born at 28 weeks (so a month later than yours). He had a grade 3 bleed and developed hydrocephalus. He is now 3 1/2 and although he has had to have a number of shunt revisions he is extremely smart and not delayed in any way.

Miracles do happen! These little babies amaze and NICU care keeps improving each year making the long-term odds better and better. I wish you and your family all the best.

Ali

8:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi someone posted your blog link on the website I go on "bounty" and Ive been following your amazing story and journey ever since..just wanted to send my best wishes to you and your family and a (((hug))) for Truman x

8:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You don't know me, but I have to comment. I friend send me a link to Teeny Tiny Truman-I start a new job tonight as a special care nursery nurse. I have also had the pleasure of taking care of a micropreemie 11 years ago-his name is PV (Paul Whitin V) he was also born at 23 weeks, he weighed 1lb 8oz. Reading about Truman and seeing his pictures has brought back many memories. Truman is a beautiful boy-and he is in one of the best NICUs in the country-he is in great hands! And he is a little fighter! I know that you are in for many long days and nights, but as I can see, you are doing great- I send you my thoughts and prayers- keep up the strong fight little one- Blessings-Sara

12:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there!

My name is Mia, and I run Chicken Little Preemie Wear at www.ChickenLittlePreemie.com. I've been following Truman's story and rooting for your little man!

I was hoping you'd allow me to send Truman some preemie items -- free of charge, of course. Please drop me an email at accounts@chickenlittlepreemie.com and I'll hook you guys up!

Very best, Mia

1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home