Teeny Tiny Truman

This page is all about Truman, born Aug. 8, 2006 to Kara and Ben.

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Progress Update: Wednesday, Sept. 13

Truman continues to do well. He's handling the C-PAP quite well and is lowering his oxygen requirements on it. I think he was at 30 % most of yesterday. (Room air is 21%).

He's still doing well with feedings. He increased his intake today to 3 CCs every three hours, making for a total of 3/4 ounce a day. We're told volume will increase for a while, and then fortifiers will be added to my breast milk to increase its caloric content.

He is also getting more comfortable with kangaroo care every day. The first couple of times, it took him 10 minutes or more to settle in, and he was fussy from time to time. Now, he settles in within a couple of minutes and goes to sleep and tends to only get fussy when we adjust him or move our arms.

He's also learned how to manipulate Mom and Dad. Today, when I tried to leave the hospital after his mid-day visit, he started crying when I moved my hands away. I put them back and talked to him. He calmed down, and then as soon as I moved my hands away, he starting crying again. We went through the whole process three times before I could leave.

He looks fatter every day. His hands are getting bigger and his diapers are actually starting to fit. His cheeks are so chubby now that he has jowls -- there's actually a visible crease. He was 1 lb, 15 ounces last night, so keep your fingers crossed for crossing the two-pound mark today or tomorrow.

--Kara

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

my fingers are crossed for Truman to reach 2lbs today!!! Come on Truman!!!

Thats fantastic kangaroo care is going so great and he's using the C=pap machine too!!

Great improvements!!

10:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Truman is growing by leaps and bounds! Wow! We DEC EC moms are still keeping up with the little guy and sending lots of prayers your way.

11:33 AM  
Blogger Kellie said...

Great news on the CPAP progress. 30% FiO2 is awesome! Enjoy your kangaroo care mom and dad. It's the best time of the day/week for a micropreemie parent! Keep up the great work Truman. You are a trooper.

12:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great news!! I am so happy to hear you are getting to have regular kangaroo care! Praying he continues to do well and gain weight!!
shawnee

12:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kara, Ben, I'm so glad to hear of Truman's progress. What a strong spirited little one you have! Sending much love and prayers your way.

Mindy
(Kerri's sister)

12:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! He is doing so well! I have been following your blog since the end of August and I can't believe how far he has come. I'm sure you must be so encouraged to see your little boy growing. Here's hoping for that next ounce!

1:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All of you are looking great!

We are so excited that Truman is growning so fast....

Our prayers continue to focus on strength for all of you.

Love,
Jamie and Jennifer

2:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

2lbs is on the horizon!!! If I look back, it seemed like we turned the corner when my 24 weeker was about 5 weeks old. We started to make progress then - sounds like you are in that stage with Truman.
He definitely knows his mom and dad!
Keep up the hardwork Truman!
Maggie (IV Preemies)

4:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad to hear that Truman is doing so well. I do not know you but on of the mommies on your birth club board told me about Truman when he was born and I have been praying for your family every single day and reading your blog. I cry at every picture I see of him. He is so precious and such a miracle. My dd was a preemie and I remember the emotional rollercoaster of the NICU.
Hang in there.

4:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an amazing miracle! Hoping to hear the 2lb news :) *hugs* and *blessings* to all of you

9:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's great to see that you finally get to hold your little Truman. Isn't it the greatest feeling to have your baby resting and peaceful on your chest?

Mike and Debbie

11:12 PM  
Blogger Shawna said...

Kara,

I just wanted to stop and say that I am truly impressed by Truman. He is SUCH a strong little guy. This tiny and on C-PAP, WOW!!! You have one tough little man there that is very determined. Everytime I read one of your updates, I just smile. It's so great reading about a micropreemie that is doing so amazing. He truly is a blessing and miracle in every way. Even without knowing you, I am so happy for your family and pray for Truman daily. Keep it up little guy, you're doing wonderful! (and oh so adorable!!!)

Shawna

12:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All I can say is HOORAY! Enough said!!! :)

9:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home