Teeny Tiny Truman

This page is all about Truman, born Aug. 8, 2006 to Kara and Ben.

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Progress Report: Wednesday, August 30

Truman had a very bad day yesterday. He's back on a pretty high dosage of the blood pressure medication and his ventilator settings have had to go up quite a lot. He has also developed an infection. There is also a red spot on his abdomen that appeared tender at one point, but no longer does. There is a possibility that the red spot indicates a perforation in his bowel. Although he still does not appear to have a major bowel infection or NEC, it can no longer be completely ruled out.

The surgeon tried the dilation procedure yesterday with no success. Truman is also pale and clearly doesn't feel well. Although he was fidgety as usual on Monday night, he was non-responsive to touch at mid-day on Tuesday. Our little boy is clearly very sick.

We've been told that as soon as he is stable, surgery will likely be performed to correct the blockage in his intestine as it seems to be impacting his other body systems now. The surgery is likely to require removal of a portion of his bowel and a colostomy bag for a couple of months until he gets bigger and the bowel can be re-connected. At this point, we are just waiting for the call on when surgery will be. We expect that it could happen as early as tonight, but we just don't know. Truman has to re-stabilize before he can have another surgery.

Although this complication of a meconium plug is not that uncommon in preemies born latger in gestation than Truman, it is very uncommon for micropreemies. It's clear that the nursing staff is worried about him.

In some good news, his lungs continue to get stronger. X-rays show that more alveoli have opened, and he does a good job of breathing spontaneously when the ventilator is turned off for a few seconds to listen to his heart or abdomen.

He also has learned to open his eyes more with his eyelids rather than wrinkling his entire forehead, so he opens them larger and for longer periods now. Also, he's begun developing the classic newborn hair that sticks up off the top of his head, and he has gained a little weight and is now up to 1 lb, 8.5 ounces.

Thanks for the continued prayers,
Kara & Ben

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like so many of your friends, I read about Truman every day and keep both him and you in my prayers. (Am still trying to find out if there's a special saint for non-pooping babies, but perhaps no one has claimed that status yet...)
Hang in there!
Cindy Ohlenforst

7:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just know Truman the Trooper will be able to get through all of this. He is a very strong and determined little guy, and he WILL overcome all of this! Please continue to keep us all updated, me and my husband and daughter pray for Truman every day.

8:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praying for Truman to get through this very difficult stage!

8:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kara, I am praying hard today for you and baby Truman.
Charlisa

8:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am from the June 06 IVillage expecting club. Someone posted about Truman being born, and now I check in every morning to see how he (and you) are doing. He's such a little fighter that I have to keep coming back to make sure he's ok. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. That's the good thing about a blog- the more people who read it, the more positive energy and prayers you can get when you most need it. Plus, when Truman is older, you can use it to embarrass him- imagine the horror of a teenager finding out that his parents talked about him pooping on the internet.

8:45 AM  
Blogger Jeanna said...

My family and I are keeping Truman in our daily prayers.

Jeanna
iVillage Jan 06 Doodlebugs

9:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kara, Ben & Baby Truman,

Just wanted to say you are in our thoughts and prayers and we are all rooting for you.

I hope Truman is feeling better real soon.

Take care.

Kathleen

9:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I check on little Truman every day and I just wanted to let you know, that he is in my thoughts and prayers. My first son had a colostomy bag for almost the first year of his life, if you need to talk to anyone that has been there done that I am here. babyj305@hotmail.com

10:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You'll be fine, little buddy - just hang in there.

11:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kara and Ben,
I'm from the Jan 06 board from iVillage - my son was born 2 months premature, so I know what you're going through to some extent. I hope you never stop this blog - I have it in my favorites and read every day. I pray for you and your family - You are going through probably one of the most difficult times you will ever encounter in your entire life, but looking back on it, it just makes you closer and stronger as a unit - and the bond you have with your little cherub is almost unreal, as well as, it's something not many people go through. You've got a good hospital there - Matthew was born at Presbyterian of Dallas, and I've heard Baylor is just as good. It sounds as though your guy is a little fighter and I hope that 'everything comes out'ok! :)
-Tracey and Matthew

11:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We will continue to pray for little Truman during this difficult time. Best wishes for a successful surgery. We love you guys.
Kerri and Jason

11:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am from Ivillage...from the August 2006 Expecting Club.

Please check out the site http://www.caringbridge.org/cb/inputSiteName.do?method=search&siteName=elijahjoseph

This is a boy that was born, I believe, at 24 weeks and went through almost everything you have mentioned your son going through to date.

Our prayers are with you...

Lisa

11:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm from the March'07 Expecting Club at ivillage. I heard about Baby Truman's early arrival and have been checking in to hear how things are going weekly. You are all in my prayers. I pray you find the strength and peace you need to get through this, daily, and that Baby Truman finds the strength he needs to grow and thrive.
-Cortney

7:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home