Teeny Tiny Truman

This page is all about Truman, born Aug. 8, 2006 to Kara and Ben.

Friday, August 25, 2006

Update: Friday, August 25

Truman tolerated his first two feeds yesterday, but didn't take the third one very well, so he is back off breastmilk at the moment. I talked to Nurse Lisa (our favorite) and his nutritionist today who said that they are going to hold until he gets his digestive tract on track. He had a small stool early this morning and then one when I changed his diaper at noon, but both were consistent with processing breast milk, meaning the meconium still hasn't passed.

But then, (I attribute all the rest of the post to my motherly pep talk), about 12:30 or so as we got to an exciting part of "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe," Truman got very angry and cried as hard as I have ever seen him. We're talking an actual quivering lower lip. He even pushed his boundaries completely out of the way with such force to unwrap even the side of them and arched his back -- his sign of being unhappy over a wet diaper. So, I checked his diaper and what did I see -- some very unfortunate, black sludge. He was passing the meconium right before my eyes! For the next hour, he continued to have intermittent periods of comfort (he was going to town on his pacifier) and periods of extreme agitation with lots of kicking and back-arching. I have faith that digestive success is at hand this afternoon. Keep your fingers crossed!

In other news, he still weighs 1 lb, 7 ounces and his O2 levels and blood gases are looking good.

--Kara

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who would have ever thought so many of us (especially me) would be excited about a messy diaper?!?

It is possible Truman will be the only baby to leave the hospital more well read than most high school students!

Truman continues to improve and impress!

Let me know if you need anything!
-Tina

2:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm happy for you that things are going good!!

3:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What great news! I'm ecstatic that Truman passed meconium! Me and a lot of other moms on a December board keep up with everything Truman, you're always in our thoughts. Continue to keep us updated!

4:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You sound like a wonderful mom and dad. Keep up the positive attitude and I know you will make it through.

6:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello again sweetheart.
Well done for all your hard work today. I know you'll find it all worthwhile.
Keep getting better and better and before you know it Mummy and Daddy will be taking you home.
With love.
Blessings and Peace.
Elvin.

7:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Little Truman is in our prayers! Keep on pooping little man!!!

9:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well im excited tht he is passing the meconium!! that is fantastic!!! how very cool that u are reading to my dh would read the hobbit and lord of the rings to my belly wen pg with dd and now at 3 years 8 months she loves the movies!! i am so pleased he is doing well!take care i will continue checking in (it has become a fixture in my day) kylie
(kainesmum dec exp board)

12:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am from the 2005 Marchmallows Playgroup Board (IV) where someone posted a request for prayer for your family with a link to your post on the Dec. 06 board. I just wanted to let you know that all of you are in my prayers. I myself have had 3 preemies (27,31, & 28 wks) so I know and understand all that you are going through. I am also an RN who worked in the NICU for 6 years. Afer reading your blog I felt I just had to comment. I must say that you 2 have an amazing understanding of all the complicated issues going on with your beautiful micropreemie. Keep the faith and keep reading to that precious baby.

2:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So wonderful that he pooped!! Little boys love to impress thier mamas, though!
Go Truman!

8:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home