Teeny Tiny Truman

This page is all about Truman, born Aug. 8, 2006 to Kara and Ben.

Saturday, August 19, 2006

Progress Report: Friday, August 18

Truman was much more stable today with his oxygen and blood pressure. He had some residual breast milk in his tummy today so feeds were stopped for Friday to give him a break and time to pass through everything that was already in his system. Feeds were supposed to start again on Saturday morning. We don't have any results yet on Thursday's blood cultures.

He was sleeping on his tummy for part of today. Although it was hard to get him into that position, he seemed to really like it once he was there. (He likes to squirm, particularly when being repositioned.) I got a chance to see more of his hair. It looks like it's probably a bit wavy with the classic Altenbaumer cowlick on the front. Although I think his hair is blond, Ben thinks it might be strawberry blond. I guess we'll have to wait and see when he's not so pink.

At one point today while I had my hand on his back, he breathed nice, shallow breaths for probably a minute. So, he's learning! He also had his first pacifier today. He likes to suck on his tubes, but Nurse Lisa said he needs to learn to suck without thrusting his tongue. So, she held a little pacifier in place for five or ten minutes. He tried to suck for a while and seemed to like it, but kept pushing it out.

Friday was also the first day that we read to him. He went through several story books. Ben thinks he responds physically to my voice now.


--Kara

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

THAT'S GREAT!! My continued prayers are with you and your family! I am sure he will be fine and he is doing so great! Just keep your head up and take one day at a time!

9:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just got back in town and checked on Truman. So glad that things are still going well. I was at a work retreat with Baptist ministers of Music from all over the panhandle and we all prayed for you all, and added you all to the prayer lists of all of those churches. We love you and just hang in there.

Chris

10:10 AM  
Blogger Maggie (Sarah's mom) said...

My guess is that he is responding to your voice. Mom's voice has a great relaxing quality!!

11:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Ben, Kara and Truman,

We are out of town, until next Tuesday, but you are all everpresent in our thoughts and prayers. The Prices are truly an inspiration for us all. We love you and will continue to monitor Truman's progress as God continues to meet all your needs daily.

Love and Blessings,

Aunt Cynthia and Uncle Steve

1:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your family is in my prayers. I am amazed to read of his progress and am so happy for you...all of the best to you and yours and I will look forward to reading more and more positive reports...

Marie
july 06 ec

8:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. I'm amazed at the courage of this tiny child and his parents.
God bless you!

11:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ben and Kara,

It sounds like baby Truman is doing great - what a fighter! I just read his blog for the first time and have gone through about half a box of tissues (my blackberry was broken when he was born so I was behind in my emails). The thoughts and prayers of the Andersons (Todd,Steph,Shannon, Paige & Luke) are with you. As I look at my 23 lb one year-old son, I can only imagine what it is like to have such a tiny baby and how much you must long to hold him and take him home. But it sounds like he has wonderful caretakers - the doctors, nurses and you!!

5:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kara & Ben, what a trooper you have there! I just wanted to let you know you are all in my prayers too. It's wonderful to hear that he is doing so well. May you all find peace, comfort and joy in the coming months.

10:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ben, Kara and Truman -
Mike and I have been reading your blog daily as well as the few supplemental emails from Ben's folks when they come. I know that you guys have to live your lives a minute at a time right now, because the challenges will seem too overwhelming otherwise. But I just spent my morning with an 18 month old boy who is at a stage that you're going to get to enjoy too. Truman is going to grow big and strong and get to do all of the 'boy' things that you always dreamed he would. Today Tyler and I pulled weeds in the yard, and he pulled flowers too (thanks!), he ate his first dog poop and wasn't totally convinced that he didn't like it, then we spent half an hour playing 'tickle'. Give it a few years and Truman will be running circles around you too.
Love,
Haley

12:08 PM  
Blogger FFF said...

Fabulous! I can tell you that they do remember what you read to them. I started reading to my son when he was very young and he really responded to the colors and pictures. I'm so happy Truman is making such progress. A pacifier and a story from mom--that IS a good day!

12:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Teeny Tiny Truman the
Tireless Trooper. He's gonna pull through super duper.

Thinking about you guys.
Suz

8:30 PM  
Blogger hallegracesmama said...

We're continuing to pray for little Truman. It sounds like his nurses are doing a wonderful job. I remember several times that Halle's feeds had to be stopped for a while.

You gave me a total flashback with the "when he's not so pink" comment. Keep taking pictures - he will change so quickly in the coming weeks as he grows and his skin changes.

I have no doubt that Truman responds to your voice! What a comfort it must be to have you there reading to him.

Take care,
Julie (Halle's mom)

11:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home