Teeny Tiny Truman

This page is all about Truman, born Aug. 8, 2006 to Kara and Ben.

Friday, August 18, 2006

Progress Report: Thursday, Aug. 17

Weight: 1 lb, 5 oz

It was a fairly uneventful day. Truman is having more trouble maintaining his oxygen levels and blood pressure. Lots of adjustments had to be made to his ventilator, and he had to go back on blood pressure medication.

The minimal stimulation order is off. So, we can touch Truman more and are starting to record stories for him on the little tape player were given. That way he will hear more of our voices and get to know them better.

He also contimues to tolerate feedings well. They have been increased from one CC every six hours to one every four hours. One feeding was skipped when there was some residual milk left in his stomach, but otherwise he has tolerated them well.

A follow-up neural ultrasound was performed because another radiologist thought he saw something. We had a few tense hours waiting on that, but the second ultrasound confirmed the first one -- a grade I bleed. Another scan is scheduled for Monday.

There were a couple of spots on his skin that had some pus in them that were drained on Thursday. They were sent to the lab for cultures, and he was given antibiotics as a precautionary measure in case they were a skin infection.

Aunt Amy came to visit Truman. She was surprised to see he had a full set of fingernails and toenails.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a miracle Truman is! You have many prayers flooding in from all around. He is a beautiful baby! Go Truman!!!

Rashelle McKinley & Family
cl-rasheller IV

9:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All I can say is WOW! What a miracle! My son was in the NICU but only for 2 weeks when he was born 4 yrs ago. It was a totally different situation. I still remember the men and women who work in the NICU and how amazing they truly are. All my prayers are with Truman and YOU!!

10:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kara,

Please know that Siobhan and I are praying for you, Ben and Truman. As new parents ourselves, we can well imagine the waves of competing emmotions that you must be enduring. Please don't hesitate to let us know if there is anything that we can do to assist on a more practical level.

Please keep in mind that you and your family have the unconditional support of all of your colleagues here at Hughes & Luce.

Warmest Regards,
--Chris Kratovil

10:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome to the world Tiny Truman!!
What a fighter you are!! You are such a beautiful baby!!
Just wanted to let you and your mommy and daddy know that I read about your story on babycenter on the Decemeber 2006 board and both my husband and I have been praying for you ever since!!
God Bless you little boy and we pray God's protection over you and over your family!!
Can't wait to see pictures of you on your "due date"!!
Heather & Family
Edmonton, Alberta Canada :)

11:10 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

Wow, seeing the pictures of Ben really bring home just how much of a miracle this little guy is. I honestly cannot fathom all the three of you have been through since his birth. Please know that Derek & I (and our church family) are praying for you. If there is anything we can do, whether it's visit, bring food, whatever, please do not hesitate to ask. That's what friends are for!

12:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I stumbled upon your website, and all I can say is you are all in my thoughts and prayers. I am a mom of a 1 year old girl, and I can not imagine what you are going through. I will be hoping and praying everyday for Truman. And I love the wonderful pictures.

12:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

God has certainly given Truman a chance of life for a reason. I'm sure he will make it and become something wonderful. He is an absolutly beautiful baby! I can only imagine how proud you both are! My prayer for all of you will just be another among plenty! Good luck to all of you!!

Melanie Chapin
Expecting 1st 12/1/06

2:58 PM  
Blogger Maggie (Sarah's mom) said...

PP&T's to Truman! Don't obsess about the vent settings. I remember days when seeing the % would make me cry. Then it would be better the next and I'd be happy. Then it would be up the next day and I'd be sad. Babies born at 23 weeks like Truman and 24 weeks like my Sarah take a lot of time to flourish in the NICU. Sometimes it's 2 steps forward and one back. The first 6 weeks was the hardest part of our rollercoaster. After 6 weeks, it was amazing how well Sarah did.

I smiled at the fingernail comment. Isn't it amazing? I'm sure that Truman's little butt is like Sarah's - just flabby skin. I used to think it was so weird while I wondered if she'd ever fill out! Well - she has!

Hugs to you all! Sending grow baby grow vibes to Truman!

4:53 PM  
Blogger HHH said...

I got your blog from a friend. Im a mom to 25 week twins (now 19 months), they were born at Baylor, Dallas. I have kept in touch (see blog for recent pics) with 2 moms that I met while in the NICU. One of which (JP, which wrote you) had a 23 weeker. She is healthy as can be and SO smart. Its amazing what these miracles babies can do. I will be praying for baby Truman. You are truely in one of the best places. Baylor was amazing. The nurses are great. I could name several. It becomes a second home and believe it or not you will miss it when you take your baby home. It is so nice to relate to someone about preemie and all the ups and downs. Feel free to write about any questions you may have.
Sending Prayers,
Bobbie
www.lovvorntwins.blogspot.com

9:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

May God be with you!!

10:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home