Teeny Tiny Truman

This page is all about Truman, born Aug. 8, 2006 to Kara and Ben.

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Progress Report: Wednesday, Aug. 16

Truman had another good day. He hit a milestone today -- his first breastmilk. He was given 1 CC (about a fifth of a teaspoon) at noon. When they suctioned his stomach at 5 p.m., it was all gone, which meant his stomach was able to process it all. So, he got another CC at 5 p.m. They will continue to give him the milk in these small increments as long as he will tolerate it. This is a big step because he can't really grow until he can process breast milk.

He also did something very cute today that I was lucky enough to witness. He sucked his thumb. I'm not quite sure whether he got the whole thing in there or was just sucking on his knuckle, but he was quite vigorous about whichever portion he got.

His oxygen levels were pretty erratic today. His night nurse tonight said that becomes more common as the preemies get older and suffer a little more injury from the ventilator. Although their levels bounce around a lot, they can generally get themselves back on track in a few minutes without adjustments to their ventilators. I asked his doctor today about the long-term impact on his lungs from being born so early. He said that Truman could go home with some sort of oxygen or monitor, but that the most likely long-term effect is a higher risk of asthma.

Ben went back to work today. He said it was hard to concentrate, but it's time to return to some semblance of a normal life or at least our new definition of a normal life. He was able to alter his work schedule to 9 a.m. to 5:30 so that it's easier to make it home for dinner and an evening visit with Truman.

I plan to return to work on Monday and spend a couple of hours mid-day at the hospital as well as the evening visit with Ben. I know it will be hard not to spend more time with Truman, but like Ben, I also have to get back to a normal life until Truman comes home and he can be with Mom or Dad all the time.

As always, we appreciate your continued support and prayers,
Kara

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just got this link from a friend and I just wanted to say GOD BLESS YOU, and I hope that he watches over you, ben and truman! God Bless his little heart! He is so precious and I will add this link to my blogroll so I can stay updated. I hope Truman continues to do well and YAY for his breastmilk!! Good Job little guy!

12:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey kainesmum here frm the dec exp board here just wanted to say that trumans progress today with the milk is fantastic!! good positive steps!!!i can understand you both returning to some "normallity" we had the same thing wen kaine was born (stillborn) we had to try and find sum normality it was a long progress i am so glad that things are moving in a positive direction!! congratulations again!! kylie

1:12 AM  
Blogger Sonia said...

Kara,

I just wanted to let you know that my husband and I both returned to full time work. Jong returned to work pretty much the week after Isaac was born and I returned after I recovered from my emergency C-section, which was about 3.5 weeks after our 23-weeker Isaac was born. I figured I will really need the time off when he gets home!

Isaac is still in the hospital but is now in the growing care unit with a nasal cannular (and is taking all his milk by bottle - he is getting 35 ml per feed now). We currently live in Japan so other than issues that we have with the hospital's policies which seem very outdated, especially when compared with the U.S., Isaac is doing quite well. Isaac's Chronic Lung Disease was worsened because he had a very large PDA that was not operated on until about 3 months after his birth (the doctors were very conservative and did not want to operate on him too early). So I am really glad that Truman got his PDA surgery done early.

Continuing to pray for your tiny Truman as we pray for our tiny Isaac. I have pictures and videos of Isaac on my blog who looks pretty good these days in case you want to look.

In Christ,

Sonia
www.soniaandjong.blogspot.com

3:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! Someone from my Dec 06 birth board gave me the link to your blog. I just wanted to tell you that your family and especially Truman are an absolute inspiration. What a little fighter you have! We will be praying for Truman and for you and Ben as well. Thumbs up to the breastmilk, that's awesome!
God bless you.
Meredith

8:29 AM  
Blogger K said...

Hi, I am due a day after Truman was so this really impresses me and I'm praying everyday for your litle man's recovery and that he may be going home asap with no health problems. Be strong and have faith that he's a fighter and he'll be fine soon in your arms :)

9:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kara, Ben and Truman,
I just heard the news today, and wanted to say that we are praying for little Truman, and of course for you guys to continue to be strong. I can imagine that getting back to work will give you back a sense of normalcy after all these days of stress and worry. Take care of yourselves - Tara, Chris and Dylan

11:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your story has inspired and awed me! I'm not far behind you (Due January 6th) and the fear of a premature delivery always rests heavily on my mind and reading Truman's story is quite amazing. You have such a wonderful little fighter there and I wish you and most importantly Truman, continued success and growth.
Congratulations on your little miracle.

12:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also got this link from Babycenter and just wanted to say that Truman and you are in my prayers. You guys seem incredibly strong and I am sure Truman inherited that from you and will be fine. Good luck and you will continue to be in my prayers.

12:13 PM  
Blogger Maggie (Sarah's mom) said...

Sending lots of prayers for your one. My 24 weeker is now 18 months old. I remember the NICU roller coaster all too well. We went through the PDA and lung issues. Please remember to take it each day at a time. You will hear every possible risk that can happen, so sometimes it will be hard to remain positive not understanding what the future might bring. Most of the risks will be just a risk - not a definite. It's amazing what miracles our little ones. I too went back to work when Sarah was a few weeks old so I could have more leave when she came home.
Please take care.

12:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

GO TRUMAN!!!
That's awesome about the breat milk. I'll be rooting for him every day, he's such a precious little fighter, and you two are amazing parents.

1:02 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

Hi. I'm in the Dec Exp. Club and I just wanted to let you know my husband and I and people in my husband's office are praying for you all. I'm so EXCITED that Truman is able to start on some breastmilk!

1:13 PM  
Blogger hallegracesmama said...

I just found your blog through a link on ivillage. I too am a mom to a 23wkr (now 19 mos) and she was born at Baylor Dallas. Please feel free to email me or check out Halle's blog. Your little guy is in my prayers.

Julie
www.hallegrace.blogspot.com

2:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rachel and I heard about Truman from my mom. I am so very sorry about what all of you are having to go through. I know it has got to be hard. We will keep you all in our prayers. Good luck.

5:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kara and Ben,
We pray that each little step you find more strength. Also that Truman (what a beautiful name), makes each milestone without much difficulty.
I will stay posted to your blog...
Much love and prayers,
Jennifer Thomas

9:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home