Teeny Tiny Truman

This page is all about Truman, born Aug. 8, 2006 to Kara and Ben.

Friday, November 17, 2006

Surgery Has Been Set

CURRENT WEIGHT: 4 LBS, 5.4 OUNCES (1977 GRAMS)

Truman had only .8 ounces to go to reach the 2000 grams target this morning. However, we found out sometime in the last few days that the target is very arbitrary and is usually adjusted for each individual child. Because the neonatologists felt that Truman was ready a couple of days ago, the call to schedule the surgery was placed in advance of Truman actually hitting the 2000 grams mark. So, there is no longer a "magic number" that Truman has to achieve, and from here forward we can just worry about growing for the sake of growth, and don't have to be overly concerned that it will create an obstacle to surgery.

Initial results on the barium enema from yesterday look good as no strictures or other mechanical issues were found. The enema also managed to help Truman pass some lingering meconium a few hours later. We still don't know if they plan on doing another one before his surgery.

Speaking of the surgery, the time and date have finally been set: Tuesday, November 21st at 4:30pm. It's a tremendous relief to have it scheduled for many reasons, including the fact that Truman's abdominal hernia has continued to worsen over the last few weeks, and is now very pronounced. During the surgery to put his bowel back together again the surgeon will also repair the hernia. Also, living with an incomplete bowel and an ostomy bag have been hinderances to working up to full nippling and weaning off the nasal canula entirely. Once he has recovered (which could take a week or two) we've been told to expect faster progress.

Truman will have to be intubated and placed back on the ventilator again for this procedure, and it's likely that he'll remain on ventilation for at least a couple of days afterwards. There's also a good chance he'll lose some weight afterwards since he will be unable to take food in the same volume that he has been recently (remember, Truman has not used the lower third of his small intestine or any of his large intestine for the last 11 weeks, so they will have to be given time to adjust to resuming their normal function), which is part of the reason to fatten Truman up as much as possible prior to next Tuesday. In the interim he'll be put back onto a TPN drip, which provides needed proteins and amino acids, and is what Truman lived off of before he was able to start taking milk.

This certainly means that there will be no travelling for us over the Thanksgiving holiday, but we really don't care about that because this surgery is one of the last major hurdles Truman has to cross before being discharged and finally coming home.

--Ben

13 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

Truman will be in our prayers! I hope the surgery goes very well and he will be home before you know it! What a awesome feeling it will be to walk out of the hospital with your little boy!

6:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah Truman! You will be in my thoughts and prayers this next week. Take care and have a great weekend!

6:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've followed Truman's journey for some time now since someone posted about him on one of the iVillage boards and I checked out your link. I watch daily for updates and wanted you to know that my prayers and thoughts are with all of you as he grows stronger and that I'll have only the best of thoughts for his quick recovery from his upcoming surgery! He's scheduled to have his surgery on the day of my birthday....I'll give up all my birthday wishes to him...so he may have a safe surgery and come home to you all real soon!!!

Sincerely, Sydney (mommy to four boys myself)

8:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have been following your journey since reading about it on ivillage. Our prayers and best thoughts are with you every day. We are so happy to hear that the surgery has been scheduled. So very much to be thankful for in this season indeed!

Best wishes and loving thoughts to all of you.

8:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You will all be in our thoughts and prayers over the Thanksgiving holiday! It's so amazing though, you have such a tough and special little boy! It's hard to believe he will be going home with you soon!

Love the Ezermans

9:06 PM  
Blogger Tonya said...

This is fantastic news. Another step closer to going home. I've been reading Truman's journey for several weeks and he truely is an amazing boy. I myself live with major intestinal issues so I can feel for his current situation. I'll be praying for Truman and you as well on Tuesday and also pray for a speedy recovery so that he can be home in time for Santa!

9:35 PM  
Blogger Maggie (Sarah's mom) said...

I'm so happy to hear you have a date for surgery!!! Please know that Truman will be in my prayers. It sounds like Truman is ready!!!

10:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh good luck and God bless little Truman! I've never posted here but I check nearly daily for updates. I'm rooting for the little guy and hope for a speedy and easy recovery!!

8:39 AM  
Blogger Maria said...

I will be praying for Truman and for the dr's that will be operating on him. I am so excited for the day that you will be able to bring Truman home.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Maria

12:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kara,
I will be thinking about Truman on Tuesday. I hope that all goes well and he recovers quickly.
Hugs,
Candace (changa0429 iV Preemies)

3:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been following Truman's journey since I found out about him on iVillage shortly after the birth of my own son.
My family keeps him in our prayers. We are so excited for your family that he gets to have this surgery and maybe go home soon. YAY! Keep it up little man!

5:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay, Truman! You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers this week, as you have been since I first started reading your journey. You have a wonderful family and lots of people caring for you! Keep up the great work, and have a Happy Thanksgiving!

1:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Truman will certainly be in my prayers! I, too, have followed his journey for quite some time and I've been amazed at his strength. You've got quite a fighter on your hands and I know he'll fight to quickly recover from his surgery!

7:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home