Teeny Tiny Truman

This page is all about Truman, born Aug. 8, 2006 to Kara and Ben.

Monday, August 13, 2007

In his Own Room

Truman has slept the last two nights in his own room. And, that only involved Mama sleeping in the full bed in his room for about two hours last night. He actually seems to sleep more soundly in the nursery. Maybe it's the firmer mattress than the Pack-and-Play in our room. Maybe it's the air vent that blows cool air very near his bed (he is very hot-natured kid). But whatever it is, I expected this transition to be a lot harder on all of us. Even though I was sad to go to sleep without him in our room, I was surprised at how well I slept relying on just the monitor to hear him. And, I was surprised that he has only waked up to eat, and he didn't even do that the first night.

This weekend, we let go of Truman underwater for the first time in swim lessons and he continued to swim towards us just fine. So, he's not just kicking underwater, he's actually swimming. He's also up to five seconds of holding his breath underwater. We wonder whether the big strides he has made in swim lessons over the last two weeks and the huge developmental strides he has made are more than just a coincidence.

In developmental news, Ben offered Truman a sweet potato puff (kind of like a dissolvable Cheerio) last night and although he used his whole hand to pick it up out of Ben's hand, he used his thumb and forefinger to take it out of his own palm and transfer hands. We also introduced Truman to the toy box concept this weekend, placing a little basket of toys on his blanket on the floor. He crawled/scooted over to it and began taking things out. He's also clearly developing a memory as he seems to remember how the mechanical toys work now and he remembers that removable vent every time he's in our bathroom floor now.

In eating news, Truman has now added butternut squash to his list of favorite foods. He ate four ounces in one setting. We are also moving up to the second foods, which are a little thicker and putting the puffs mentioned above in his mouth to get him used to more consistencies in his food.

One milestone that I'm particularly proud that wasn't mentioned in Truman's one-year post is that I have made it past a year on pumping / breastfeeding. I am now officially an extended breastfeeder. We're still going strong and have no plans of stopping either anytime soon. Breastfeeding is important for all babies, but it's super important for preemies, so I am going to keep it up as long as it makes sense for us. I hope that means two years adjusted, so 12 months down, 16 to go. Law school was hard, but I think I am almost as proud of pumping and breastfeeding this long as I was of graduating law school.

8 Comments:

Blogger Emily said...

I've been a silent reader but I have to say Congrats! I struggled a lot to breastfeed my 29wkr and we just hit 2yrs adjusted a short while again. I'm so glad we were able to make it that long. With my little 25wkr we only nursed for a short while before she gave up oral feedings all together and I just called it quits with the pump when she was 16mos old a few weeks ago. It's so hard doing the "normal" mommy things with preemies and you deserve a big pat on the back.

5:01 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Your little guy is so cute. I've been following your blog for a long while now.

Congratulations on the extended breastfeeding/pumping. My daughter, also a preemie, never got the whole suck/swallow thing and by the time she was 6 months old I had to resign to stopping all together for exclusively pumping.

It was hard but we made it nearly 13 months and I really feel it was what has made her transition to food easier, despite the reflux.

You have alot to be proud of as so many moms don't last long breastfeeding never mind pumping too! Congratulations!

8:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is wonderful to read your updates and see what a handsome boy Truman is becoming! Congratulations on providing him with such a wonderful gift through your dedication to extended nursing and pumping. Sarah is still nursing at 2 yrs and I see no end in sight. She transitioned out of our room (and our bed) not long ago and I certainly miss her more than she misses us! I will admit that I love curling up in bed next to her in her room.

We look forward to continuing to hear about your adventures with Truman and hope to see you at church soon!

The Dardaganians

11:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

'Way to go Truman!! You are becoming a real Super Star! Keep up the good work, my little friend. It is always great to read good news about you on your website.

Sending you angel hugs, praises and prayers. Praying for you today and always.

"The Lord is my shepherd. . . .:

1:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a fighter he is....always striving for more!!

Pat
Angel Kate's Grammy
www.caringbridge.org/visit/katehrischuk

5:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Truman! He is truly an amazing boy! So cute too - he looks a lot like Ben! I'm so sorry we missed you when you came out here - maybe next time!

We celebrated Alena's first birthday and she liked the wrapping paper too! Hard to believe it's been a year.

I don't think that Truman is too far behind Alena in the weight category. She is TINY (only 2nd percentile)- it would be fun to see them together!

Happy Birthday Truman!

6:58 PM  
Blogger flannel04 said...

I'm sorry I missed your birthday, Truman. I've been following along with your story since the beginning, though, and am so happy that you're doing so well! Your parents are very proud, and rightly so :o) Congrats!

Kris
iVillage June 2006 Playgroup

8:28 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Congrats on joining the extended breastfeeding group! I am constantly amazed that you have been willing and able to go to such lengths to give Truman the best that you can. Breastfeeding, and especially pumping, are not easy and I can only imagine that putting a stressful job on top of that can only make life a little more difficult. Truman is lucky to have such a dedicated Momma!

And Happy Birthday, Truman. You are a true miracle. God bless you, little man!

10:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home